Sunday, May 10, 2009

'Oil' political posters

My senior year of college I created a three part poster series involving the political issues of oil, or more specifically, the U.S. dependency on foreign oil. I will provide a brief explanation for what each poster describes and then explain some things you may not have seen as you viewed each one...

#1 of 3 - SP'OIL'ED?: Started out the series by just representing some facts about oil that I had researched surrounding oil consumption within the U.S. and how it compared to other nations.

#2 of 3 - TERM'OIL': Things start getting a little more interesting now, as I present some controversial facts surrounding the idea that the war in Iraq is/isn't not a "war over oil".

#3 of 3 - B'OIL'ING POINT.: Projections of our use of oil in the future produce some scary numbers.


You will notice that as the posters progress, the hand (which once started out as a clean and nearly perfect print) smears more and more until in poster #3 there lacks any resemblance of a hand. Look closely in poster #2...you will even see some evil faces (in the left and right palm), which surprisingly wasn't manipulated manually by me. It was just how the filter operated, but I think it's a nice touch, despite how evil it looks.

All handprints and oil production was done by yours truly! I had a fun time smearing oil on my hands and making prints on paper. It reminded me of finger painting in grade school, for sure! After much experimentation, I then photographed the prints and then manipulated everything digitally after that point.

(Designs created: 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment